Monday, August 27, 2018

Setting Goals: My Novel Freshman Experience

 Setting Goals.

When I first started writing, I treated my attempts like work. I set a goal and did everything I could to meet it.  I treated my writing like a business before it was a business. And that commitment worked for me and my vocation.


So as I'm starting my pottery avocation, I'm doing the same thing.  My big goal for the term is to get better.  I want to throw better (and better than not good should be doable.  LOL) and I want to get better at the things I'm already happy with (my Santas and log mugs). And I want to learn more studio skills.  

But I wanted a bigger goal.  There's a group at school that does Empty Bowls Dinner in the spring...it raises money to fill empty stomachs. Guests have a simple meal of soup and bread...and you get to keep a handcrafted pottery bowl.  They need a lot of bowls.  So I said...I'll do fifty.  Since I am so new to throwing, this is a hefty goal.  But  I'm hoping it improves my throwing and glazin. I'm hoping to learn to throw a shape and size consistently. And I need to find a design I like. And I like the idea of all that learning ultimately feeding people in need.

I made three smaller, wider bowls (on the left). They weren't bad, but I tried a taller, deeper bowl. I think that's a better design.  I made three of those, then tried one a bit taller.  

So seven.  I'm seven bowls into my goal.

Now, along the way I threw a very small, bad bowl.  But rather than let it go to waste, I tried my underglazing on it again.  Another poppy. It'll make an acceptable change or key bowl.  


Goals.  They're a way of moving forward in a vocation or avocation.  They SHOW you what you can do.  Uh, yeah that was a lead-in to today's Trippin' with Holly and Susan. We're talking about Show Don't Tell.  Yes, it's kind of a writerly topic, but even as a reader, understanding how a book goes together can enhance your reading experience.  So check it out...


 


A viewer (how cool is that to say or write?) wanted us to talk about Show Don't Tell—so here it is. And we discover Susan gets "tangry" and Holly might be a bit of a smart a$$. LOL Hope it gives you Monday Glee!
Holly

PS There's a new episode of Able to Love Again out on Radish today.  What's Radish? An app for your phone so you never run out of books to read.  You can check out The Moments for free there as well!


PSS
Don't forget my new release Polished Off: A Maid in LA Mystery is out! Check out Quincy's newest adventure!

And there's a salespalooza this month. Check out:
Just One Thing
Hold Her Heart
Everything But...series


Don't want to miss any new releases in the future? Subscribe to my Newsletter!! I'll keep you up-to-date and I frequently have something special for subscribers!

As always, you can find my ebooks, paperbacks, hardbacks, audiobooks and available through Kindle Unlimited.  They're also available in a lot of other languages. I hope there's something for all of you!
Find my books at:


In Erie, you can find my books on the shelf at Werner Books! Stop in, check them out and tell them I said hi!




No comments:

Post a Comment