Friday, August 17, 2018

Back to School—My Novel Freshman Experience


School starts for me on the 23rd.  Yep, I'm going back to school!  I'm so excited.  I wanted to finish my summer's work before classes started, and the face jug in the video was my final project.  I know some of you have said they're ugly...and they are.  That's the point really.

Why do I like making something ugly?  Well, I think they're kind ugly-cute.  But more than that, for me their a way to connect to my history.  I've been working on-and-off on a family tree for a few years and I've found I have deep Appalachian roots.  And face jugs, though they've been 
discovered in Mesopotamia, have deep mountain roots.  I like that connection.  My son asked for one.  I made two, so he'll get his choice.

I am just taking once class again, and yes, it is a Ceramics Class again.  LOL  At this rate, I'll have finished my first freshman term by next summer.

So this might not be the fastest degree in history.  Frankly, I have no clue what degree I ultimately want.  But I'm having fun and that is a big part of why I'm back to school.  And I'm learning so much.  


What did my first term teach me?  I love ceramics as much as I thought I would.  If you've read, Just One Thing, you'll see a bit of my longing for a pottery class.  But more than that, I'm loving the freedom of clay.  I am not an expert, and I don't expect to be.  I'm experimenting.  I'm trying new things.  Those Santas were inspired by my father-in-law.  He carved his in wood.  I tried to replicate some of them.  And then I expanded and made my own.    Those small jugs with the weird mold looking splotches?  Those were an experiment.  I've done a lot of black and I'm trying more colors.


But more than all that, my first year back at school reminded me how much I love learning.  I mean love it.  I don't know a lot about much, but I know a little about a ton of things.  As a writer, that's important.  When I wrote that pottery scene in Just One Thing, I'd never wedged clay.  I researched it and tried to translate it.  Those bits of lots of things work their way into my stories.

So what are my goals this term?  To get better.  I started wheel throwing over the summer.  I am better than when I started, but I'm not good...I want to get better.  And I want to do more carving.  I've discovered I really like that aspect of claying.  I'd like to make at least one container with a lid.  And I really want to play with glazing and underglazing.  I started painting because of the claying.  I want to work more on how to translate one art to the other and back again.  That picture above of a small jug I made trying to replicate the Erie beach scene I'd painted.

Back to school!

I'm so happy!

I plan a lot of claying this fall!

And maybe that's my biggest lesson...the one I want to share with all of you.  I think I've found the true fountain of youth...never stop learning.  Maybe your thing isn't ceramics.  Maybe it's a real class.  Maybe it's painting.  Maybe it knitting.  Maybe it's a lecture on history.  Maybe...

Whatever it is it's individual, but I hope whatever your Maybe is you find it and love learning about it!


So keep an eye out for more of My Novel Freshman Experiences.  Just think, in a couple years, I might be writing about My Novel Sophomore Experience!  LOL

Holly


PS. Don't forget my new release Polished Off: A Maid in LA Mystery is out! Check out Quincy's newest adventure!

And there's a salespalooza this month. Check out:
Just One Thing
Hold Her Heart
Everything But...series


Don't want to miss any new releases in the future? Subscribe to my Newsletter!! I'll keep you up-to-date and I frequently have something special for subscribers!

As always, you can find my ebooks, paperbacks, hardbacks, audiobooks and available through Kindle Unlimited.  They're also available in a lot of other languages. I hope there's something for all of you!
Find my books at:


In Erie, you can find my books on the shelf at Werner Books! Stop in, check them out and tell them I said hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment