Wednesday, May 09, 2018

On Writing: Romance Plus



On Writing: Romance Plus



I recently had someone tell me that she never reads romance, but she tried Carry Her Heart and loved it. It wasn't what she expected in a romance.

That got me thinking.  What do readers expect when they pick up a "romance" book?  I think readers who read romance regularly (darn, that's a lot of R's) realize romance (when you're on a roll ride itis more than heaving bosoms. Seriously, no bosoms heave in my stories.  But my romances have been many things.  Romantic comedies.  Sweet Romance.  Even when I write Cozy Mysteries, there's romance in it.  Why?  Because that need (not want, need) to be loved is universal.  It's as much a part of life as breathing.  

When I started writing bigger, more emotional romances I tried to coin the term Womance...women's fiction + romance.  Uh, that didn't take off.  But readers are beginning to understand what I mean when I say Romance+.  They're stories about a woman's journey.  A journey that includes romance, but love isn't the purpose for her trip or her final destination.


But as I thought about that reader's letter, I realized that all my romances are Romance +.  All of them involve strong women who are searching for something.  A family.  A career.  A purpose.  I can wrap their journey up in comedy or a sweet romance or a women's fiction or even a murder mystery, but it's still there.  All my books are at heart Romance + books.

I hope you'll pick one up soon and see for yourself! 

Holly

Find my books at:
Amazon
Audible
BAM
Kobo
B&N
iBooks
Google Play






In Erie, you can find my books on the shelf at Werner Books! Stop in, check them out and tell them I said hi!


No comments:

Post a Comment