Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Finals: My Novel Freshman Experience

And thus it ends.

I'm just back from my "finals" day at school.  We didn't really have a final.  We simply critiqued our favorite pieces.  I took out my face jugs, my best Santas and my two mocha diffusion pieces.  I know most student cheer the last day of school.  I was not cheering.  I had such an amazing time this year.

I'll confess, I wasn't sure how the kids would react to having someone who was old enough to be their mom in class.  They were amazing.  Not only kind and inclusive, but some sought me out and hung with me on purpose.  In the mornings when I walked in, one of the boys teams was generally walking out and someone almost always held a door for me. My husband and I had a group of eight kids he knew from school to our house for dinner this term and that was my same impression—kind, smart and funny.  

But beyond that, the two classes (yes, I've finished half a term! LOL) introduced me to ceramics, which I've discovered is a true love I didn't know I had until September.  As someone who makes her living writing about love, I can recognize the real thing when I see it.  And that love of ceramics has led me to a love of painting.  I've been painting in order to get a feel for how to use underglazes on my ceramics.

And I knew I loved folk art, but all this has led me to wanting to learn more.  As a bookish person, I've course I've already ordered a couple books on folk art.

And...

Okay, that's a lot.  I have a friend on Facebook who refers to me as Renaissance Woman, or RW.  I smiled every time I see her use the term. I like to think that nickname means I like to learn things...and every new thing I learn leads to other new things I want to learn.  From ceramics, to painting, to folk art...  I have no idea where this will all lead, but I'm sure all of this will lead to other new things I want to explore.

Maybe that's the point.  I might have been old enough to be many of the kids' mom, but I like to think they could sense that I hadn't lost my sense of wonder.  I learned a lot about how to make the clay into the vision in my head, but I also learned that glazes have their own mind.  They're like magic.  And the entire process was wonderful!  The entire year was filled with so much gleeful learning on my part.

So, even though I don't have official classes until September, the biggest thing I learned is that learning never stops.  I'll continue learning this summer and take myself into class with wonder and of course a lot of glee this fall!

I'm putting up a bunch of pictures of this year's work...I can't wait to take on next year's projects!


Holly

PS.
Find my books at:
holly jacobs
Amazon
Audible
Audible
Kobo
Kobo
iBooks
iBooks
BAM
BAM
Google
Google Play
BN
B&N





And check out your local bookstore...if they don't have them, ask!
In Erie, PA Werner Books is carrying them! Stop in and tell them I said hi!  































No comments:

Post a Comment