Sunday, July 15, 2018

Ouroboros...One thing leads to another and then back again.

 This truly fits into My Novel Freshman Experience territory. I worked last night on a few more slates.  They're not quite done, but I'm happy with the start of them. I'm doing a four season series. Summer and Autumn are here...winter and spring to go. 
I started trying my hand at acrylic paints on boxes, then canvas, now some slate.  I started because I wanted to figure out how to underglaze my pottery in a folk arty way.

And now, all that painting has led me back to my pottery.  I've done a few trees on some and now I'm going to do some bowls with flowers.  I'm still working at pulling a six inch wall...I can consistently get five inches.  So close...sigh.  A friend said I was doing good.  Not quite.  But even the pieces I'm making that are less than good are better than when I started. And they're giving me an opportunity to experiment without worrying about messing up a great piece. So I go round and round...literally on the wheel. Trying to get better and figure out new things.



This is how learning goes...at least for me.  I learn one thing, which makes me curious about something else, so I learn something about that and then...I'm like an ouroboros, the snake that at its own tail. My learning and interests go round and round. Eventually I end up back where I started.

That curiosity definitely impacts my writing.  I finished that first book in a new series and I'm starting the second book. (Keep your fingers crossed...I can't wait to tell you more about them!!)  I needed to figure out something new to make the story work and made a few calls and...  I'm sure the new information will lead me down unforeseen avenues, but odds are they'll probably just lead me back to the beginning again.

It's a little more than a month until the new term starts. I'm sure you'll be seeing more Novel Freshman Experience posts then. 

I hope you find something that captivates you as much as all this does for me.

Holly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PS.

Speaking of going around in circles, Quincy's back and in some ways she's right back where she started.  So don't forget my new release Polished Off: A Maid in LA Mystery is out! Check out Quincy's newest adventure!

And Carry Her Heart is on sale, along with the 2nd book in the series, These Three Words.


As always, you can find my ebooks, paperbacks, hardbacks, audiobooks and available through Kindle Unlimited.  They're also available in a lot of other languages. I hope there's something for all of you!
Find my books at:




In Erie, you can find my books on the shelf at Werner Books! Stop in, check them out and tell them I said hi!


No comments:

Post a Comment