Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Book Stories...Old Books


Three of my older books are up for sale this week.

Cinderella Wore Tennis Shoes
Bosom Buddies

All three are some of the first books I wrote. Yes, they're old. They're frothy. (Someone used that word in a review, and I've loved it for my sweet comedies. I think it really fit.)

So these are not my Romance+ novels, bit emotional stories like Just One Thing, Briar Hill Road or Hold Her Heart. They're light, fun (I hope) stories that helped me grow as a writer. I hope if you read one, you think, yeah that was cute, but it wasn't what Holly writes now.  Here's the thing, if my writing was still like that, I'd be doing something wrong. LOL

So here are three stories about each...er, story.

Cinderella Wore Tennis Shoes was me trying to twist a classic runaway bride story into something of my own. The publisher named it Side by Side...I went back to my original title with the new edition.  I liked mine better. 

Bosom Buddies also had a different title...Baby, It's You. That was a little better, but frankly, Bosom Buddies made me happy.  You see, before I was a writer, I worked with lactating moms. And the opening scene in this book is an homage to that.  The editor read that opening scene, called me as she cracked up and said, "I'm buying this one, but I'll call you back when I finish."  That gave me glee!

Finally, Laugh Lines. I thought a romantic comedy about a comedian had some merit. It turns out, stand up is different than comedy in a book.  Still, I was pleased with the result.  I was not overly thrilled with the cover however. (Publishers consider covers, titles and blurbs marketing and keep the final say-so on them.) When you look at it, please realize that this is sooo much better than the first one. That first version was a giant pole in the middle of a stage. Yep, it looked like a stripper pole. So really, the mic in the middle of a stage was a better choice, but still it's somewhat lacking.  It doesn't say romantic comedy, does it?  It didn't seem to matter much when these were books meant for libraries, but now that people are looking at them as ebooks, it's kind of sad.  

So there you are, three old stories. I hope you see glimpses of the writer I am now in those early books. And I really hope you get a sense of my unbridled joy over what I was doing. I grew up in books and the idea of writing them...it still gives me glee this many years later. 

Thank you everyone who's picked up my books! I am so lucky to have so many readers who stood by me as my writing grew and matured.

Holly

PS As always, you can find my ebooks, paperbacks, hardbacks, audiobooks and available through Kindle Unlimited.  They're also available in a lot of other languages. I hope there's something for all of you!





In Erie, you can find my books on the shelf at Werner Books! Stop in, check them out and tell them I said hi!





No comments:

Post a Comment