Sunday, March 08, 2020

A Long Drive

I drove home from Philadelphia yesterday and listened to my second Miranda Hart audiobook, Peggy and Me. (I listened to Is It Just Me on the way to Philly.)

I listened, laughed and basically mulled all sorts of things on the ride...

1. When Miranda talked about dancing, I thought, "Here is a kindred spirit."
I can't dance. I have something called, anti-rhythm. Yes, it's a thing. But that doesn't stop me from dancing. I find my skills are appreciated most by the under six crowd. (Know your audience is my motto.)


2. Listening to a book that's a love story between a woman and her dog may have been a mistake. I've been missing Ella Fitzgerald and now that I'm allowed to walk again, I'm hating dogless walks. I'm seriously mulling a new dog.

3. Philly is as far as you can get from Erie and still be in Pennsylvania. It's a beautiful state. (But though I love the whole state, I love Erie most!) I took a hike through Valley Forge while I was in Philly. I love the beauty and the history of it all. Miranda talked about taking her dog Peggy on a holiday and I thought I need to be sure if I get another dog it likes the car.

4. My buddy Miranda talked about losing a manuscript in Peggy and Me. I got nauseous at the thought. I reaffirmed my neurotic need to back up files is not really neurotic but wise.

5. Speaking of books, I hope people are liking the first two books in Hometown Hearts. (Worrying about what people think about a book is a thing. I try to ignore it, but listening to someone talking about losing all that work brought books to the forefront of my mind and I crossed my fingers.)

6. Frequently when Miranda says, "Peggy," I hum, "Angelica, Eliza...and Peggy." (If you're not a Hamilton fan, it's a song from the musical.) And that makes me think about going through Washington's headquarters in Valley Forge and marveling over the fact I touched a railing that both Washington and Hamilton must have touched. It's just cool...in a nerdy sort of way. I wonder if Washington and/or Hamilton had dogs and if they hung out at the headquarters.

7. Dogs. I listen to Miranda talk about Peggy and really miss having a dog. I know I'll never be able to replace Ethel Merman and Ella Fitzgerald, but I really miss having a dog.

8. Why did I pick a book that's about a dog? (The reason is I adore Miranda Hart...if you have a minute, check out her series Miranda on Hulu.)

9. Himself called while I was gone and had gone out to The Cottage. I realized if I got another dog, it needed to like the woods.

10. Home. I am always happy to go on a trip, but I'm even happier going home. I think that makes me pretty lucky. And I appreciate how lucky I am. And I realize that I hate coming home and not have someone bark with joy.

11. I've got two more CDs in Peggy and Me to listen to. Hm. I may need to take a drive out to The Cottage this week so I can finish it off!

12. I so enjoyed my ride with Miranda, but it's good to be home! (Now, Susan, you know I love Trippin' with you, too! LOL) I wonder if I get another dog if I can top Ethel and Ella's names?

Dogs. Miranda, I so enjoyed driving with you (really Susan, you know I adore driving with you too)!

Holly

PS I mentioned my Hometown Hearts series. Have you picked up your copies? If so, I will happily add you to my worry-about-people-liking-it list. (Miranda talked about worrying if people would like her sit-com. It's the same feeling, though it's different.)


OUT NOW: Crib Notes

Preorder: A Special Kind of Different
Kobo

Preorder: Homecoming
Amazon
iBooks
Nook
Kobo

The rest of the Hometown Hearts series will be coming soon.
Suddenly a Father will be out in September of 2020 and
Something Borrowed, Something Blue and Something Perfect in 2021!






No comments:

Post a Comment