Monday, March 16, 2020

Social Distancing

It's a scary time. I get that. It's frustrating. And if you're a social butterfly, social distancing is so difficult.

They closed my university today for the rest of the term. I'm sad about no more studio time until my own studio is done.

But there are things to do. Since I can't be at the studio today, I'm spring cleaning. That way, when we're all given the green light, I'll be caught up in the house.

I cleaned off my bookshelves (well, a few...I have a lot of shelves, it'll be a few more days) and cleaned off a display shelf over the dining room windows. I took down my teacups and replaced them with some of my pottery and my Burlon Craig teapot. (If you're bored, you can go back and read about my girl crush on BB Craig here.)

Yep, I'm pleased. I'll have a few more pieces to add when I go up to school and clear off my shelves.

Then I scrubbed and waxed my counters. They're soapstone and I wax them every six months or so. Don't they look great?

Then I took a walk. When I walked by my front lawn, some crocuses were up. I stopped a moment and smiled. You see, my MIL (who inspired Briar Hill Road) planted them decades ago. They used to spell out SPRING, but don't anymore. Still, every time they come up it feels like it's really spring and I think about her. So she was on my mind as I walked today. And I gave some thought to being thankful I'm walking again. I think it's more important than ever to be thankful when times are troubling.

I came home and emailed my professor about clearing out my studio space, then I cooked. I made that springtime cake I mentioned on FB the other day, homemade bread, and I made a beer can chicken and mashed potatoes for dinner. Comfort food, baby!

I started planning how I was going to keep the minions busy since they're not in school. I'm making Sight-Word Palooza cards for the younger two. I'm going to make flashcards for common items here like television, book, table, chair... The game will be to match the card to the item. As they get better, we're going to time them. Yes, if it's a competition, the minions are all in. I pulled out all my easy readers for the oldest minion, and I'm going to print out the states for "spelling." Also printing out all the presidents. When my kids were little, I had them memorize them all. To this day they can still recite the presidents. We'll also be working on our STEM cars and definitely planning a lot of days at camp.

Oh, and I worked on my new book.

Day One is done. Well, almost. I'm planning on picking up a book and reading the rest of the night away.

It was a busy, productive and thankful day.

I think that's going to be my theme for the upcoming days.

Hoping you're being careful, listening to the CDC and finding things to keep yourself busy! Things you enjoy. Time with your family. And I hope you remember to find things that give you glee each day, and then give thanks for those things.

Do you have any plans around the house?

Holly

PS If you're home and looking for something to do, catch up on our Trippin' with Holly and Susan videos.

PSS Looking for something to read? My Hometown Hearts series is out...well, the first two books are out. I hope you'll pick them up!


OUT NOW: Crib Notes

Preorder: A Special Kind of Different
Kobo

Preorder: Homecoming
Amazon
iBooks
Nook
Kobo

The rest of the Hometown Hearts series will be coming soon.
Suddenly a Father will be out in September of 2020 and
Something Borrowed, Something Blue and Something Perfect in 2021!









No comments:

Post a Comment