Thursday, March 19, 2020

More What to Do With Your Kids

It sounds like there's a chance we'll have kids home for a while yet, so here are a few other ideas.

The Cincinnati Zoo is rocking! They've got the Fiona Show and a daily Live Safari on FB.

I've been addicted to a Live Stream of a nesting bald eagle. I check in now and again. The kids love it.

More on STEM. Have you read Andrea Beatty? Check out:
Rosie Revere, Engineer
Ada Twist, Scientist
Iggy Peck, Architect

Oh, and check out yesterday's project:


We've built a solar powered robot and a remote controlled car. I'm ordering some magnet sets today. Oh, and check out the Turing Tumble. Mine's on backorder, but I know someone who has one and loves it for the kids.

The oldest minion is learning to spell states. We made it through Hawaii this week. Once we've, we're hoping to learn capitals! The little minions are working on sight words. Well, we do sound them out first, but they're learning to recognize them quickly. I added a new word yesterday. Lamp. I think we're going to keep building our vocabulary one word at a time. They love Sight Word Palooza. They run with the cards, labeling the objects. It's a very kinetic way to learn that works for them.

I have some birdhouses we'll be painting and hanging next week. And since we've been watching Mo Willem's Doodles, we're going to be making our own books! (I'd like to say that the fact that I'm a writer inspired them to write, but I'm pretty sure it's Mo. LOL)

Check out GoNoodle on YouTube. Get the kids up and moving!

The oldest minion has been reading a book a day to the little ones. Reading. If there's nothing else we do, that's the ticket. I've always said that books raised me. It's the truth. I've lived thousands of lives. I've learned so many things, but mainly I've learned empathy. It's hard to not feel empathy when you've walked miles upon miles in someone else's shoes. So reading. My goal is at the end of this, the minions are all reading better and reading for glee!

Good luck, everyone!

Holly

PS After a long day with the kids, if you're looking for a book to relax with, I have a new series for you.

OUT NOW: Crib Notes

Preorder: A Special Kind of Different
Kobo

Preorder: Homecoming
Amazon
iBooks
Nook
Kobo

The rest of the Hometown Hearts series will be coming soon.
Suddenly a Father will be out in September of 2020 and
Something Borrowed, Something Blue and Something Perfect in 2021!

No comments:

Post a Comment