Saturday, March 23, 2019

What's in a Name?


"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." William Shakespeare

Susan and I talked about how we name our characters in yesterday's Trippin' video.  Sometimes names say something about a character. I use Harry from my PTA Moms as an example. For me, Harry is just a nice guy. He's trustworthy and sweet. So as I wrote Once Upon a Thanksgiving, I think my feeling for the name came through in the character.

Yep, it's all about me. LOL

But when the book is read, it's all about the reader. I'm sure every reader brings their own baggage to certain names.  Maybe Harry was the first boy you had a crush on and he broke your heart. Maybe Harry beat up your little brother. Maybe . . .

But my hope is, as you read my Harry, you fall a little in love with him. And maybe he helps lighten your Harry-baggage. LOL That's my hope with every character. That you see something in all my characters that stick with you and influence how you feel about their particular name.

Check out our video, and when you're done, leave a comment here or on one of my other social media sites. You never know, maybe you'll see your name in a story??!!

Holly

"A good character is the best tombstone. Those who loved you and were helped by you will remember you when forget-me-nots have withered. Carve your name on hearts, not on marble." Charles Spurgeon


PS 
There's a Sale-palooza at Amazon this month! If you've missed one, I hope you pick it up.
On Sale for $.99:
Carry Her Heart 
    A mother gives up her child...then builds a life around her.
Hold Her Heart 
    Her child comes home.
Just One Thing 
    Sometimes we heal one memory at a time.
Everything But a Groom 
    A grandmother curses her family to bad weddings and spends a trilogy trying to break the curse.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment