Wednesday, May 16, 2007


I feel as if I lost a pair of good friends. The Gilmore Girls had their last episode last night, and now they're gone.

The show had a rough time after its brilliant creator, Amy Sherman-Palladino left, but she'd done such a great job creating such believable characters, I hung on until this last episode. I'm going to miss my weekly visits to Stars Hollow. I'm going to miss Kirk and the quirky townsfolk. Miss Patty, Sookie, Taylor. I'm going to miss the repressed, but deep-down loving Emily and Richard. I'll miss uptight Paris and drummer mom, Lane.

I'm going to miss visiting Luke's diner. Sometimes I swear I could smell the coffee. And I'm betting I'm not the only viewer who sometimes wished I could try the pancakes.

But mainly, I'm going to miss Lorelai and Rory. I have three daughters, and I'd like to think we have their kind of relationship. That mother-daughter bond that weathers the good times and bad. I think it's what all moms hope for...that our daughters will grow up and become our best friends.

Thankfully, I still have the DVDs. I can revisit Stars Hollow any time I like. But it won't be quite the same watching reruns. Still, I'm sure I'll check in from time to time, just for a taste of home. To listen to the rapid-fire dialogue that makes me smile. To smell the coffee at Luke's.

Goodbye, Gilmore Girls.

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment