Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Creating

So, I've been slowed down now for a month and a half. First on crutches and now limping along without crutches but with daily step limits.

So I've binge watched some tv and read almost 3,000 pages of Brian Sanderson's Stormlight Archives.

ANNNNND, I've been creating. I'm back at working on a new book. And I have a new release, Crib Notes! (If you haven't checked it out yet, I hope you will!) Plus, I've done a bunch of painting. And now that I'm getting back in the studio, I'm doing some tile work for the new studio...which now has a name. Holly'sWoods Studio! LOL (I have way too much fun with my life.) To be honest, I can't imagine a life without creating. It gives me glee.

Ray Bradbury said, "In my later years, I have looked in the mirror each day and found a happy person staring back. Occasionally I wonder why I can be so happy. The answer is that every day of my life I've worked only for myself and for the joy that comes from writing and creating. The image in my mirror is not optimistic, but the result of optimal behavior."

Yes. I get what you're saying, Ray. Ultimately every book I write or piece of ceramics I create is for my own glee. But beyond that, especially with my books, there's an element of creating for you, too. Basically, I create for my own enjoyment, then I let it go and give it to you, the reader (well, hopefully you are a reader! LOL). As I read Sanderson's books, I feel as if I'm getting to know a bit about him and his world-view. But I might be totally wrong. What he intended as a writer and what I take away as a reader are two entirely different things. And that's the way it is with creations. We give up all rights to interpreting our creations when we set them free. It's up to each reader or viewer what they take from it.

But I hope as you read my books you find pieces of me in each. Sometimes they're blatant things. For instance, I worked with teen moms for years, which my heroine in Crib Notes does. (I talk about it here.) But sometimes the pieces of myself are less concrete. I hope that tucked up in each creation you can find pieces of my glee, of my wonder, or my optimism.  

Creating.

It's really kept me sane since I've been laid up. 

I hope you have your own creative outlets. Like Ray Bradbury said, I think it leads to a happier life!

Holly


PS Here's some of my creation specials out this month:

OUT NOW: Crib Notes

Preorder: A Special Kind of Different
Kobo

Preorder: Homecoming
Amazon
iBooks
Nook
Kobo

The rest of the Hometown Hearts series will be coming soon.
Suddenly a Father will be out in September of 2020 and
Something Borrowed, Something Blue and Something Perfect in 2021!

ON SALE THIS WEEK at Amazon:

Just One Thing
First Everything But trilogy






No comments:

Post a Comment