Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Down the Rabbit Hole—My Novel Freshman Experience



So there's a chance that NOT writing historical fiction was a good choice on my part. It seems whenever I start researching something (well, interesting somethings) I fall down the rabbit hole.  If you've followed my Novel Freshman Experience posts, you might be aware that I've been bitten by the pottery bug. I've taken one class a term for two years, and they've all been ceramics.  LOL I've also been working on my family tree and found that I have very deep southern roots. My people come from the mountains in Virginia and North Carolina.  Those two interests came together and led me to trying my hand at face jugs.  There have been examples of face jugs throughout history.  Most of my interest is in that Appalachian tradition.

I've read a bit online, looking at examples of face jugs.

Which led me to book shopping.

Which led to my tumbling down that rabbit hole.

I've done some shopping and fallen into the stories of potters who kept this tradition alive.

I found Burlon (BB) Craig. He came from the Catawaba Valley in North Carolina and made face jugs. I curled up last night with Philip E. Burrow Sr's The Final Kiln Opening, about well, the final sales of BB's pottery after his death. Which led to me ordering Catawba Clay: Contemporary Southern Face Jug Makers by Barry Gurley Huffman. It's on its way and I'm anxiously awaiting it.

I've also been reading Brothers in Clay by John Burrison. It's more about Georgia Potters, but they mention BB Craig, so I bought it and have been captivated by the stories in it.

Yes, I've fallen down the face jug rabbit hole.  I'm itching to make a few more. Yes, I know, some people think they're ugly. They are. But I really have fallen in love with them.

Now, I realize most of you won't find face jugs as intriguing as I do.  That's okay. The point of these posts isn't to turn you all into potters, but rather it's my way of reminding you to find your passions.  Find NEW passions. Find things that have you following down your own rabbit holes.

That first ceramics class led me to a second, then a third, then this fourth one. It's led me to exploring the craft. I'm hoping to have my own studio by this time next year. (Here's my future spring view. That's the edge of the pond to the left, the creek's straight ahead.)

I hope you all find your own rabbit hole. Something new that intrigues you and makes you smile!  I truly think that if you never lose that sense of wonder and excitement, you'll never grow old...no matter what the mirror says! LOL

Holly

The Makeover
PS. Check out my books!
Briar Hill Road
Between the Words

No comments:

Post a Comment