Monday, November 26, 2018

Memories...the Music Connection




This coming February, Lucy Arnaz and Richard Klein will be reprising their roles in They're Playing Our Song for one night in a concert in NYC...and guess who has tickets?  Yep, me!!  I'm so excited. I grew up with this musical. You see, my mom went to New York and saw the original show.  She bought the album (now known as vinyl by my kids) and brought it home. I fell in love with the songs on their own merit, but also because my mom loved it so much.

When I was writing These Three Words, the hero is a man of few words.  One song from the show played over and over again in my head as wrote his scenes.  Fill in the Words. It was his theme song. So when I go to that show (!!!!) I'll be thinking of my mother and about the hero of These Three Words. Of all the books I wrote, this one was her favorite. I think it was the music connection. I hope it reminded her of her first trip to NYC.

Smells. Foods. Music. They all can take us back into the past. They can take us tumbling into our memories.  I mentioned last week that Pillsbury's Cranberry Bread will always make me remember my grandmother...she made it every holiday.  The smell of hyacinths always make me think of my surrogate grandfather. But for me, music is my strongest trigger. Lawrence Welk makes me remember weekends at my grandmother. They're Playing Our Song and Steve and Eydie's That Holiday Feeling will always say Christmas to me and remind me of my mom.

Memories. Our past influences our present and that influences our future. That truly was the theme of These Three Words. Two people who lost each other until their memories pull them back together. My tagline for the book is Sometimes the Greatest Love isn't Discovered it's Rediscovered.  Memories. They can change our present and our future. And for me, they can help me write a story that I hope resonates with readers.

Holly

PS.
Books on Sale this Month:
These Three Words
Carry Her Heart

Christmas in Cupid Falls

And check out this year's releases:













In Erie, you can find my books on the shelf at Werner Books!

PPS.
Have you missed our most recent Trippin' with Holly and Susan? You can catch up with them all on YouTube.


No comments:

Post a Comment