Friday, April 06, 2018

Book Stories: Confessions of a Party Crasher


Mothers and daughters.  It's a dynamic that's always fascinated me.  In Maid in LA Quincy and her mother have a rocky relationship...one that's really fueled by misunderstanding.  They love each other, but they don't understand each other at all.  I had five books (well four right now for you, and five in June when Polished Off is released!) to not only explore their story, but let it develop.


I know you're scratching your head say, I thought this Book Story was about Confessions of a Party Crasher.  LOL It is.  I was just setting the MOM stage.  Quincy's mother was a physician and all business...at least from Quincy's point-of-view.  Party Crasher's mom, Annabelle...is not.  She's in trouble frequently.  

Oh, I had so much fun with Annabelle and Morgan.  Morgan was a complex character to write.  She knows what she wants.  She makes plans.  She works hard.  I admire all those traits.  But this book was in a way a reminder to myself that things change and goals can change with them.  (I remind myself about many things in the books I write.  Really, writers don't need therapists, we just need to write another book.)  As much as I loved writing Annabelle and Morgan's relationship development, it was Morgan's journey that really fascinated me.  Finding what she REALLY wanted, not just what she thought she wanted—what she'd planned on wanting—was the big journey of the book.
 
I think that's the big lesson for me...and hopefully for readers.  Life changes...and we change along with it.  Plans and goals are all well and good (I love lists and plans) but sometimes they're worth reassessing.  It's worth it to channel your inner-Annabelle and remind yourself that sometimes what you think you want isn't what you want at all.  And like Morgan, maybe you'll find you are exactly where you want to be.

Oh, I know, I didn't blog at all about the romance in this book.  And really it is a romance.  The hero's journey is actually similar to Morgan's.  He needs to discover that sometimes what you think you want isn't what you want at all.  Maybe that's another lesson of the book...we all are always on a journey of finding where we should be and what we should be.

I hope you'll check out Confessions of a Party Crasher if you haven't already.  I set this one in Pittsburgh, PA.  My daughter was in school down there and helped with all the descriptions. I know most of my books are set in Erie, but occasionally I take a trip.  Speaking of which, I'm leaving today for Philadelphia.  I'm giving a talk tomorrow for the Valley Forge Romance Writers.  My handouts are printed, my bags are packed...yes, I put grownup clothes in the suitcase.  I'm ready to drive across this state I love.  I'm sure you'll hear all about it next week!  

Have a great weekend!

Holly




"...a funny tale of falling in love when you least expect it, best friends, and off-beat mothers..." We Write Romance

"...a sweet, entertaining romance..." ~RT Bookclub

"Hilarious situations, deep emotions, and lots of love make this one party you won't want to miss." ~Cat Cody, Romance Junkies

"Confession of a Party Crasher is an entertaining frolic. I know whenever I see Holly Jacobs name on a book I can be guarantee that I am are going to have one laugh after another..." Lydia Funneman, Writers Unlimited

"Confessions of a Party Crasher is a book about relationships and life. As always, Holly Jacobs uses plenty of zany humor to enhance the story and make it dazzle." ~© Kelley A. Hartsell, May 2006. All rights reserved. 

"CONFESSIONS OF A PARTY CRASHER is a charming romantic story, where love is made even more special with laughter." Amelia Richard, cataromance.com 




2 comments:

  1. Holly you have a wonderful outlook on life. We should all try to be aware of the loving people that surround us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia, I'm so glad you liked the sounds of this. I love writing mothers and daughters...maybe because I have three?? LOL

    ReplyDelete