Thursday, March 29, 2018

Face Jugs: My Novel Freshman Experience

In Progress



Face Jugs: 
My Novel Freshman Experience
Ready to fire














My second freshman term is almost done.  We're almost done working with clay, then the rest of the term will be spent glazing and finishing off our pieces.  I gave myself a theme for the term...folk art.  I've worked on a quilt, Santas, birds, mocha infusion, cups and faces.  Oh, and a hand that people felt looked like a dementor hand.  LOL
My faces are getting better.  I wanted to do something new that combined folk art and faces for my final clay project.  I'm trying face jugs.  It's a traditional American form (that goes back much further than America).  It's a fascinating history with a strong past in Appalachia that you can read about here.  You can see examples of what traditional jugs look like.  That's mine.  I'm really enjoying it and will be doing more.  I love that it ties into my research into my family's mountain heritage.  


I can't believe the term is winding down already.  I've talked a lot about going back to school this year. These two ceramic classes have taught me so much.  I've learned about a new art form that I adore.  I suspect I'll be clay-ing for years to come.  

Learning something new at any age helps us all grow and I think every new skill brings with it unexpected gifts.  So far, because of going back to school, I've sold an article and I'm working on a new writing project that's giving me such glee!  That's a lot for a couple classes to bring with them.  

I'm anxious to go back to school this fall!  Who knows what gifts I'll find with the new classes?

Anyone else thinking of trying something new?

Holly


6 comments:

  1. This is so cool Holly, I'm jazzed about learning something new every day. So much to learn so little time, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia, That's exactly how I feel! And these face jugs were so much fun. I have a second one started. They're not exactly pretty, but I do love them. I don't know if you looked at the link, but I think I cam close to what they did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:47 PM

    I'm always looking for something new to learn. I think it's what keeps us young.
    Cjarlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! And it's always amazing to me how many new, fantastically interesting things there are out there to try!

      Delete
  4. A fellow type A - love your stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula! I'm still having so much fun with this class!

      Delete