Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Book Stories: Carry Her Heart

A quote from Carry Her Heart on a ceramic sculpture I made.
I was the invited guest at a book club meeting last night.  They'd read Just One Thing and were asking me questions about my writing and books.  One question was, are you each character? My answer was no.  To me, they're each individuals...real at least in my head.  And if I do things right, hopefully they're real to you as well as you read their books.

But there are autobiographical tidbits in every book and every character.  In Carry Her Heart, Pip is a Kindergarten Story lady in the book.  I did that for years.  I loved it.  I shared family favorites like the out-of-print Wild Baby Book and Where the Wild Things Are.  And towards the end of the year, I'd read them their first chapter book, Wolf Story.  Oh, how I loved watching them fall into the stories.  

I was talking to an education major at school the other day and mentioned my new favorite kids' books, Ada Twist Scientist, Iggy Peck Architect and Rosie Revere Engineer.  I love how they put STEM into a form that kids not only understand, but get excited by.  And of course, there's The Book With No Pictures.  If you ever are planning to read to young kids, any book that uses the word butt is sure to be a hit!

So as you read Carry Her Heart and hopefully its sequel, Hold Her Heart, you'll see pieces of me in those children's stories.  And of course, you'll see my love of Erie in the setting and maybe...  Well, I'm there in the book, even if it's fiction.

Check out Carry Her Heart...





Holly

PS Someone asked where they could find all my videos.  I park them all on YouTube.  All the Book Trailers, Ask the Author and Cooks and Books.  

You can subscribe to my YouTube Channel, or you can simply subscribe to this blog...I post them all here as well.


AND if you have any questions you'd like me to answer for Ask the Author...send them to me at HollyJacobs1 (at) gmail (dot) com.

No comments:

Post a Comment