Tuesday, August 29, 2017

My Novel Freshman Experience...Part. Four


Making Clay and a Trip to a Gallery


Today was my second class.  We made clay.  Well, there was a lot of clay already ready in the studio, so we watched a batch being made.  If you've ever made bread, there were similarities.  The class has a "recipe." You simply follow it, bag it and it's good to go.

So it was a quick class. 

We had to visit a local gallery before Thursday's class.  I have a buddy visiting today...so he came along.  I love that I got to introduce him to an art gallery!  His favorite part of the exhibit was the nature pictures.  The turtle especially.




Me?  I really enjoyed the bird teapot.  I like the action of the bird and the function of the piece (I have a nice sized teapot collection).  I've been reading ahead and reading extra (I know, me read? Go figure! LOL) and have been giving the idea of themes in my pottery some thought.  There are definitely themes in my writing...love (of course LOL) and family are pretty blatant.  That idea of Family First runs pretty strong as well.  Toss in a bit of science, some crafty stuff and green bits (I will always be proud of working organic food, a dual-flush toilet and compost pile into books!) ...well, you can see a lot of me in my books.  I want people to see "me" in my pottery as well.  So I've been thinking about it.  I think I'll be concentrating on women and nature themes.  The women part makes sense.  I've built my many and varied jobs on women.  Lactation consulting, working with teen moms, and even my writing is mainly for women (but hey, to my male readers, you know I adore you).  We have a kiln god assignment coming up.  Since I've been reading ahead, I've been mulling some of the projects and I've got some ideas...I have to run them by Prof. H, but I'll tell you about my kiln god idea after I've run it by him.  I think it's simple enough for a novice to do okay with, but I think it fits my themes well as well as fulfills the assignment requirement.

Today's visit falls into another of my Days of Beauty (DOB1DOB 2).  I've had a few of them in the last few months.  I have never been an art expert, though I've always known what I enjoy.  I feel as if I've been broadening my horizons as I visit the Erie Art Museum more often—I've found so much enjoyment there.  I enjoyed today's visit to The Mercyhurst Cumming's Gallery as well.  The pieces were lovely!!  

Thanks for everyone who started following my blog to see what happens next.  I'm truly hoping you all try something new sometime soon.  You might find a new passion, or not. But learning something new is never wasted time.  I have no idea if I'll be a ceramic ace, or flop, but no matter what, so far, I've enjoyed every moment!

Holly
If you've missed any Novel Experience posts, you can find them here...
Part Three, Part Two, Part One





No comments:

Post a Comment