Wednesday, September 09, 2015

They're Playing My Song...Well, They're Playing My Book's Song

Music has always played a part in writing. Beth recently wrote me and said that Sarah McLachlan's Full of Grace reminded her of Just One Thing.  (Thank you again, Beth!!) I loved that she made that connection because not only did I agree, but I do that kind of thing all the time.




For instance, in August's Her Second-Chance Family Sister Hazel's song, Concede really struck me as the song for the heroine's battle to reach her foster daughter...



In My Valley Ridge series, the third book, A Walk Down the Aisle has a couple who was meant to be together but thinks they're over.  I loved As You Turn Away as the heroine's theme song.  I could see her listening to this and crying as I wrote her book.



And Same Time Not Summer Keri Noble's Piece of My Heart really fit. I really love the imagery of the song...



So it comes as no surprise that November's These Three Words has an inspiration as well.  It is the strongest one yet.  When I was young, Dad took Mom to NYC and they saw They're Playing My Song.  Mom bought the album (yeah, I know, I'm dating myself! LOL)  Robert Klein and Lucy Arnaz in a Neil Simon, Marvin Hamlish and Carole Bayer Sager show.  I mean, come on.  Even as I kid I recognized the magic of those people and that show.  (And really, really, really I want a revival of this one.  I'd get front row tickets for it!!)  One song in particular always really touched me, Fill in the Words.  When I started writing These Three Words, I realized early on that this song could be my hero's theme song.  He's a man of very few words, but a very big heart.



How about you?  Do you ever read a book, then hear a song and think, yes...that's it??

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment