Friday, March 17, 2017

The Art of Writing


I went to a wonderful lecture about quilting tonight called Earth Stories at the Erie Art Museum with Susan Shie.   I've made a few quilts.  Not good ones.  But I made them with enthusiasm.  The family favorites are jeans quilts.  They're super heavy and warm.  But tonight's presentation was by an artist.

When I started writing I kept hearing about "the rules of writing." (Susan Gable and I have done workshops together called We Don't Need No Stinkin' Rules...so yes you can imagine how I felt about those rules.  LOL)  One of the rules was no writers or artists heroes/heroines.  Pip in Carry Her Heart was a writer, and Lexie in Just One Thing was an artist, though she didn't think of herself as such.  I think what fascinated me last night was both storyteller and artist so tangible in Susan's quilts. She mixes quilting, sewing, painting, writing, journaling into something beautiful and memorable.


I wrote about
 My Day Of Beauty a few months ago.  It's rare that I take a day off from work and family obligations but that day inspired me then and now.  Well, tonight inspired me as well.  Like Lexie in Just One Thing, I feel presumptuous saying I'm an artist, but if writing is my art, then words are the medium with which I express it.  And I loved that I put art into Just One Thing...blurring the lines a bit like Susan Shei's quilts. She takes both cotton, thread and paint and weaves words into them, producing something hybrid and unique. 

Oh, it was a lovely night.

By the way, as a remembrance of My Day of Beauty, I took another shadow picture as I walked back to the car last night!  I love that art can be found anywhere and we all have the opportunity to become part of it.

My life has been crazy again lately. Writing and life keep bumping into each other and I have to scramble to juggle it all.  I found an hour for this lecture and am so glad I did.  Sometimes we just need to take a moment, surround ourselves with beauty and just breathe.


Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Holly

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Holly. It was lovely to meet you yesterday and get to spend a little time together. Thank you for your very kind and thoughtful writing about my talk and my art. I am truly humbled and encouraged, both!
    I am so impressed with both the Erie Art Museum and the community which has created it over all those years, making it into something truly outstanding and inspiring!
    MY thanks to you and all those who made yesterday so very inspiring.
    Blessings to you and your artist's heart! Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, It was a pleasure to meet you and listen to your talk. It's always fascinating to learn how other creative people work. It is so inspirational! I hope you come back to Erie again soon!

      Delete