Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Word of the Year—2021

 

Every year for more than a decade I've talked about giving up New Year's Resolutions and instead coming up with a Word of the Year. My Word of the year for 2020 was Patience. I feel very prophetic about it because 2020 was definitely a year that required a lot of patience. I tend to try to view the world as a glass half full sort of place, but frankly this year has been required a lot of work to maintain that view. So many people are hurting and suffering.  1 out of every 1,000 Americans has succumbed to Covid. Even while I find the beauty in the world—whether it's the minions, my family, a new studio, a new book, the cottage—I see the beauty but it's tinged with the sorrow that we've all felt.  Patience. It's taken a lot of work and patience.

Most years I simply share my Word of the Year. This year, I'm going to walk you through how I pick one. (If you've watched Trippin' with Holly and Susan videos, you've seen my weird, circular thought process in some of them.)

I've tried to make a difference where I can. I've tried to spread glee. I've...I've patiently tried to make the world just a little brighter.

So now I need to pick a Word for 2021. My first inclination was HOPE. I'm hopeful that before the end of '21 things will be better. Not necessarily back to normal, but better. HOPE feels like a good choice even though I've used it as a Word of the Year in the past. I don't think anyone can ever have too much hope.

And yet, I also think this coming year is going to rely on SCIENCE. For a decade scientist worked on a new way of developing vaccines. They worked, they tested their mRNA technology and when this horrible virus came along, they'd laid the groundwork for preparing an effective inoculation in record time. My family is filled with frontline workers and I'm so proud and THANKFUL for the work they do. And I'm so THANKFUL for that science as they've begun getting inoculations that will protect them. So THANKFUL. That's another great idea for a Word for '21. I'm THANKFUL for my brave and amazing family. I'm THANKFUL to the scientists who've worked so hard for a decade and put us in a place where we could confront this pandemic in a timely way. 

I'm Hopeful and Thankful. Both words encompass science. So now I've narrowed my word to one of those two. Those Trippin' videos will also show you that I have no problem twisting things to suit my purpose...I could just pick two words. And yet...I love having one word to focus on.

I'm hopeful that scientist continue to work hard and think of new ways to save lives. I'm thankful for all they've done and are doing. If you've ever read How to Catch a Groom, you know of my inherent fondness for science and I feel this year has proven that fondness out.
I'm thankful for all our frontline workers and hopeful their jobs will become just a bit easier in '21.
I'm hopeful that our country will find a way to come together and work together for the good of all of us...the good of the least of us. I'm thankful for all the people who've spent their lives working for the least of us.

I still haven't decided. So I plugged the both those words into Google to see what popped up. I found:

“I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” Gilbert Keith Chesterton

You all know that glee is a word I use a lot. I strive for finding that glee everywhere in everything.

This seems like a sign.

So while I'm full of hope for '21 my word of the year is THANKFUL.

I'm thankful for scientists. Thankful for frontline workers who've faced so much this year. I'm thankful for Himself. I'm thankful for my family and friends. I am thankful for my writing and my pottery. I'm thankful for Tallulah. I'm thankful that despite the troubles this year, the new year brings with it hope for something better.

I am thankful. 

I've had words like Patience, Stretch, Step, Glee, Hope, Time, Chapter, Stop...

THANKFUL. It's a good word to add to my list and a good word to center the new year around.

When I wrote Same Time Next Summer, I investigated TBIs (traumatic brain injuries) and discovered that recovery from a TBI isn't sudden. It's slow and difficult process. I suspect 2021 is going to be like that. Things will be better, but not all of a sudden. Slowly, with hard work, we're going to get back to normal or a new normal. And I am going to try to be thankful for each step in the process. 

Wishing you all a hopeful, thankful new year!

Holly

PS My Books and Pottery

And check out Hometown Hearts:




Crib Notes
: Hometown Hearts #1









A Special Kind of Different: Hometown Hearts #2











Homecoming: Hometown Hearts #3
KindleKoboIBooksNook



 


Suddenly a Father: Hometown Hearts #4




Something Borrowed: Hometown Hearts #5
PREORDER. Available 1/21
KindleKoboNookiBooks







PREORDER. Available 3/21
Kindle, Kobo, Nook

3 comments:

  1. Love this! I have done the same for several years. Last year's was grateful. And I needed the reminder! I was given a link to a word generator and used it. My word was "genuineness." Hmmm. We'll see. Larry got one, too, "humility.' he's already in the zone for that one! Actually, as you know, I'm pretty much what you see is what you get to begin with. I totally support thankful! I'll continue to be grateful this year, too. Jugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I thought you were talking about my Face Jugs.

      I love your words! And yes, I think you're genuine to begin with!

      Happy New Year

      Delete