Sunday, September 03, 2017

My Novel Freshman Experience, Part Six...Kiln Goddess



It turns out, no one is awake on a college campus before eight am on a rainy, Sunday morning! Go figure. I think this might be my new favorite time to work.  I went up this morning to work on my Kiln God...er, Goddess.  Now, I had no tools.  The point was to make it totally by hand, so the flowers in her hair makes her look a bit Medusa-like, but given my own hair and it's Medusa-like qualities, I left it.  LOL  It's hard to see in this picture, but under that pot of flowers she's holding, there's a hole to represent a kiln door...that's because her body literally is a beehive kiln.  So, she's a classic Mother-Goddess figure, but she's also a kiln.  I loved the symbolism.  She's got small pinch pots at her feet.  Yeah, I know, I'm very new but I think with some more experience and tools, I'd have done a better job.  But I was actually pretty happy with the flowers overall.

It was pouring rain by the time I was done, so I waited for my husband to come pick me up and made a small cup...I wanted to try a ring bottom.

 I think it's definitely better than my first two.

Tuesday we're critiquing pinch pots, learning a new technique and getting tools.  Thursday's the first test.  I've been memorizing terms. Did you know clay's official name is Hydrous Silicate of Alumina?  I do!  LOL

Holly

If you've missed any Novel Experience posts, you can find them here...
Part Five
Part FourPart ThreePart TwoPart One





2 comments:

  1. Karen Knaus Hanson7:22 AM

    Thanks for sharing and I think your Kiln Goddess is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen! I think I could have done better with the flowers on her head with tools, but I love how they turned out in the bowl! Starting a new project tomorrow!
      Hope you had a great day!

      Delete