Wednesday, December 07, 2022

HerStory

 

I love my little house in the big woods. (Yep, that was a shout out to one of my favorite books growing up!) I married a city boy, but I grew up in the county and missed it so much he bought me some acreage years ago. It's only a bit more than a half hour from home, which makes it easy to head out whenever I need a country fix. Since I put my pottery studio in our barn out there, I've been going out even more often.

I feel connected to that land. I have since we found it. We've spent years building/renovating our cottage out there. Thirty years after we built it, it finally got indoor plumbing. I know. I'm so fancy! We added the barn and my studio a couple years ago. Small project after small project. Then these last few big projects.

 Most of my decor is house-sale-yard-sale finds. One of my recent treasures for the cottage was a map of our township. I am not good with maps, but himself pointed our our place.  A few miles to the north was part of my family's homestead...I knew about that one. But imagine my delight as I studied the map and found another branch of my tree... a third great-grandfather. His name's on the map just a couple miles from our place. I've walked by where his house was. It's so cool finding my feeling of connection might have been my very deep roots in the area.

I've been working on my family tree for a few years. For someone who didn't have any clue on more than half of her tree for most of her life, my discoveries give me such glee. My maternal family comes from pre-revolution New England. My paternal family comes from the pre-revolution south...the Appalachian Mountains.  After years of not quite knowing where I was from, I've traced my family back to the 1700s. A few of the more famous branches, even further.

Where I come from...how I ended up here. It's a never-ending source of fascination for me. That looking for family—for where we belong—is a theme that occurs often in my books.

My whole Hometown Heart series asked that question over and over again in each book.  The first book in my Harry's Pottery series, A View to a Kiln, asks the question. Should Harry (the heroine) follow a well plotted path, or follow her passion?

I'll confess, I love Erie. I write about Erie a lot. Erie has big city amenities and a small town feel.  If you haven't checked out the first book in my Around the Square series, Signs of the Times, you'll find yourself in the heart of Erie...and hopefully the Christmasy story will touch your heart. 

I love both our town house and little house in the big woods, but truly where I belong is with my family. I was so excited that everyone was home for Thanksgiving. There are a lot of us now, so the house was packed, but the chaos was part of the fun!  Chaos and family...that does describe most of my books. LOL

And yes, all of them ask Where do I belong? in one way or another...and every person should ask that question as well. I've asked and answered it over and over...I belong wherever my family is. In the woods, in the city...where they are is my true home. My history (HerStory?!) brought me to right where I am...and where I am is pretty darn perfect.

Wishing you all a wonderful holiday season!

Holly

If you have a moment, pick out a Holly Jacobs book for your Christmas reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment