Friday, March 11, 2022

Victory Garden...Here Right Matters

There's so much going on in the world right now and I've been thinking about how I can help.
During WWII my grandmother was a Rosie the Riveter. Her husband went off to war and she went to a factory and worked there until retirement. She started working to do her part and help...she stayed because it was her job. She did her part. The world is in tumult again and I want to do my part.
So, I'm going to cut my consumption.
I already don't drive a lot, but I'm going to try to drive less. I try to figure out how to combine errands, minimizing the miles I drive. I'm going to see how many errands I can do on my bike.
We already keep our heat fairly low, but I'm lowering my thermostat another two degrees. And I'm turning off lights. I'd switch to better lightbulbs but we've already done that. LOL We're planning on solar panels but they're not going in for a while. This is my stopgap measure.
We've had a garden for years, but this year I'm going to proclaim mine is a Victory Garden. If I grow it, it doesn't have to be shipped from somewhere else...saving gas. Bonus...I know it hasn't be treated with chemicals. The US Department of Agriculture estimated that 20 million plus victory gardens were planted and that 9-10 million tons of fruit and vegetables were harvested. They made a difference then and could make a difference now. And I remember that buying local supports my local farmers and community!
I know they're all little things. They're literally just a drop in the bucket. But a tidal wave is just a bunch of drops. Of course, I'm donating. CNBC has a list of the top charities. https://www.cnbc.com/.../heres-a-list-of-top-rated...
The world is in crisis. And I'm hoping rather than driving a larger wedge in our divisive country, people of good heart band together and remember, as Alexander Vindman says, "Here Right Matters."

Holly





A View to a Kiln: A Harry's Pottery Mystery

Kindle
iBooks
Kobo
Nook




Have you missed any of my Hometown Hearts series? Here's the list:


Crib NotesHometown Hearts #1




A Special Kind of Different: Hometown Hearts #2





HomecomingHometown Hearts #3



 Suddenly a Father: Hometown Hearts #4


Something Borrowed: Hometown Hearts #5





Something Blue: Hometown Hearts #6 


Something Perfect: Hometown Hearts #7 





Something Unexpected: A Hometown Hearts short story 
Amazon

A Hometown Christmas: Hometown Hearts #8
Kindle 
Nook
AppleBooks
Kobo



No comments:

Post a Comment