Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Watching Movies With Your Eyes Closed

Here's the thing...I write books that have happily-ever-after. I want to know that the characters I created–characters I've spent months with and are so very real to me–get that happy ending. I like that in the books I read as well, and I like that in movies. I want movies that give me a happily-ever-after (HEA). But I live with family members who enjoy other movies. For instance, my son loved Kill Bill. I watched Quentin Tarantino interviews with him in preparation. He's such an interesting man and a gifted storyteller. (I talk with my hands, so does he. I figure, if we ever met and had a conversation, it would be a boxing match! LOL) Of course, all the blood-and-guts had me squinting my eyes. But his storytelling...it was flawless. I love his out-of-sequence way of presenting the story. But watching movies with your eyes closed is tough. Partway through the second movie, I leaned over and whispered, "I don't want her to kill Bill. I want them to live happily-ever-after with him and raise their daughter." He looked at me with teenaged disgust and said, "Did you see the movie's title?" SIGH.

Last night, I watch Pan's Labyrinth. It was a great movie. I hardly even noticed the subtitles, because I was so caught up in the storytelling. But here's the thing...there were blood-and-gut moments, and I discovered that while watching movies with your eyes closed is tough...watching movies that are subtitled with your eyes closed is tougher!!

Yes, I do branch out from my HEA's in both my reading and movies. But I always come home to a place where crap does happen, but I know, when I close the book, I'll leave the characters in a good place.

How about you?? What are you reading and watching this summer?

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment